"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude."
-Julia Child

7.27.2012

An attempt at Croissants

I am not a fan of measurements.
Before entering culinary school my attitude has always been "add a little this a little that"
Thank G-d I can still do that in the cooking side of the kitchen, but the pastry kitchen has become a place of science. Measuring cups everywhere, ready to be used scales situated at every table.
But I have trained myself in the pastry kitchen. Trained myself so well that when our head pastry chef explains the differences of the atmospheric conditions and that our recipes won't always work exactly and we may need to add a little this and a little that, I am bound for disaster.
Okay, maybe not full out disaster, but definitely not getting what I intended...
Turns out this time, my entire class didn't get what they intended so I didn't feel too bad.

We followed the recipe. Having to add a lot more milk then it actually called for. The dough felt great. Everything was going great.




Until it was time for the oven. The French would be ashamed. The end result wasn't the airy croissant we were going for. More like a cookie that's just shaped like a croissant. A funny looking scone. 
So it wasn't my best job. They taste great with a little jam though...
There's always next time! Just gotta keep telling myself that. But I do promise, I will attempt these again. And it will work.

I could have lied and told you they were meant to look like this...





1 comment: